The Bravehearts

• Gordon tells Scotland boss: I'll be fit

Published Date: 08 May 2009
    Craig Gordon has assured national team boss George Burley he will be back in action in time for Scotland's World Cup qualifier against Norway.
    The Sunderland goalkeeper has been pencilled in for a knee operation at the weekend and will not play again this season.

However, he is confident he will be fully fit in time to join the rest of his international team-mates for the clash in Oslo on August 12.

He told BBC Scotland: "There should be no problem.

"There will be a couple of weeks of not doing an awful lot after my operation, then back into my rehab and there should be no problem by the time I come back for pre-season."

Scotland currently occupy second spot in Group Nine and are hopeful of clinching a play-off place which could take them to the World Cup finals.

Gordon added: "That really is the pinnacle, that's where you want to be.

"To have that experience, even just one time in your career, would be fantastic."

[teamtalk]

• SCOTLAND U19

Scotland v Slovakia
    Wed 27th May
    Bramall Lane, 7pm

Scotland v Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Friday 29th May
    Keepmoat Stadium, 7pm

England v Scotland
    Monday 1st June
    Bramall Lane, 7pm

SQUAD:

Goalkeepers
    Michael Andrews Falkirk
    Mark Ridgers Heart of Midlothian
    Defenders
    Callum Booth Hibernian
    Jonathan Brown Heart of Midlothian
    Paul Hanlon Hibernian
    Ross Perry Rangers
    Daniel Wilson Rangers
    Midfielders
    Lee Currie Hibernian
    James Forrest Celtic
    John Fleck Rangers
    Jamie Ness Rangers
    Bradden Inman Newcastle United
    Stephen Stirling Rangers
    David Wotherspoon Hibernian
    Forwards
    Leigh Griffiths Livingston
    Craig King Leicester City
    Alex McDonald Burnley
    Jonathon Russell Dundee United

• 1 Tim & 5 Rangers spieler! Kein wunder dass die tims keinem U-19 spieler nen vertrag gaben und alle weg sind :nuke:
    Fleck war doch schon auch in der U-21 oder? Auf jeden fall sollte er in der U-19 keine probleme haben, auch wenn er auch da zu den jüngsten gehören wird :ja:

Rangers FC - Scottish Premier League - Champions 2008/09

• Island v Holland 0:2
    Mazedonien v Norwegen 0:0

Die beiden Ergebnisse waren für Schottland nicht schlecht. Holland war ja eh vorher schon so gut wie durch, jetzt sind sie es auch rein rechnerisch.

:rfc: Simply a Bear :rfc:

• SFA hint at U-turn over banned duo

Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor could make a dramatic return to the Scotland squad with the SFA considering overturning their lifetime bans.

Rangers duo Ferguson and McGregor were told by the SFA they would "no longer be considered for international selection" following their behaviour whilst on national team duty just over two months ago.

After the punishment was issued, Scottish Football Association chief executive Gordon Smith immediately cast doubt on its permanency by suggesting the decision could be overturned were there a change of regime at the SFA.

He went further on Saturday, revealing if Scotland manager George Burley wanted to recall Ferguson and McGregor, he would be prepared to put the matter back before the current SFA board.

In an unscheduled phone call to BBC Scotland's Sportsound programme, Smith said: "If George was very strong on it then we would have to look at it very closely, of course we would."

He added: "I would think in most circumstances the board of directors might actually take it on board if George Burley was so intent on bringing these players back for very good reason.

"George would have to be the one that would have to come and say he's got a change of decision."
    TT

• Habe auf der ersten Seite nochmal aktualisiert. Heute Abend, bzw. morgen früh trage ich die neuen Ergebnisse ein.

• FT Rep. of Macedonia 2 - 0 Iceland
    20:45 Holland ? - ? Norway

Wollen wir mal hoffen das die Holländer Ehre im Leib haben und sich nicht schlachten lassen, da sie ja bereits qualifiziert sind.

• Norwegen ist echt erschreckend schwach in der Quali....glaube nicht das da noch was passiert. Meine Eltern gucken das die sind grade in Holland I)

• Wäre schon geil wenn es die Bravehearts endlich mal wieder zu nen großen Turnier schaffen würden, vor allem nachdem man beim letzten Mal in der Quali so beschissen wurde. Sag nur spanische Schiedsrichter...... :motzen:

• 32. Min 1:0 Für die Niederlande durch Ooijer. Sieht so aus als ob uns die Oranjes wirklich helfen.

• SFA chief reiterates stance on duo

SFA chief executive Gordon Smith insists Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor have no chance of playing for Scotland under the current regime.

Smith was reported to have opened the door for the Rangers pair to return earlier this month when he phoned a BBC Scotland radio programme to clarify they had not been given life bans.

McGregor and former skipper Ferguson were cast aside from the national team after a lengthy drinking session and subsequent gestures to cameras while on Scotland duty for the World Cup double header against Holland and Iceland.

And Smith clarified he did not see any way back for the pair while he and Scotland manager George Burley are in charge.

"No, I never did," Smith said. "I don't remember mentioning anything about a spirit of reconciliation.

"I said there was always a possibility that somebody in the future might decide to change that decision."

Smith added: "The point I was trying to make was that everybody kept saying it was a life ban. You can't do life bans in football terms so therefore you can't say it was a life ban or sine die.

"What we're saying is they will not be chosen again for the national team and we stick by that.

"Someone said 'can you ever see that changing?' Well, if you say it can't ever change you effectively are saying it's a life ban.

"It's not a life ban but I don't see any situation where it is going to change in the near future."

Ferguson may be poised to join the small band of Scotland players plying their trade in the Premier League after being the subject of an enquiry from Birmingham, but Smith is confident the team can qualify for the World Cup play-offs without him.

Scotland remained in second place in Group Nine this month despite being idle while rivals Holland, Macedonia, Iceland and Norway all played two games each.

And Smith believes Burley is well-placed to keep Scotland in that position while also ensuring they are not the only European group runners-up to miss out on a play-off.

"I'm optimistic," said Smith, who announced a new scheme to give every first-year pupil in Scotland access to organised football.

"It's in our own hands but we still have to go out there and get results.

"We still have to go and I think take maybe six points from three games.

"I'm looking at the other groups, when you disregard the bottom team results, there are actually about five teams on seven points like we are, including the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

"Everyone is saying how well they are doing but they virtually have the same points as us on the basis they have had two games against the bottom team.

"It's going to be very, very tight as to who finishes in the top eight of the second-placed teams but I'm confident if we get the results we're looking for we have a good chance of getting into the play-offs."

Meanwhile, Smith foresees no problem with Burley being given enough assistance ahead of Scotland's next qualifier, against Norway in Oslo on August 12.

Burley's assistant, Terry Butcher, will begin his season with Inverness four days beforehand while coach Steven Pressley looks set to land a coaching role at Falkirk.

"George hasn't mentioned to me there is any problem regarding Steven and Terry not being available," said Smith.

"The Norway game is a Wednesday night so Steven and Terry could get other people to take their clubs for a couple of days' training, so as far as I know there is no problem."

TT

• The Scottish Football Association has suffered a blow after the national team's kit manufacturer Diadora went bust. (Various)

The Scottish Football Association suffered a blow when the national team's kit manufacturer Diadora went bus, in a move that could cost the Scots £1.5m. (Various)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!