Hospital of the Bears

• Mendes Hope

RANGERS are hoping that Portuguese playmaker Pedro Mendes will not be missing from the climax to the season.

Mendes suffered a heavy thigh injury just before half-time in the semi-final with St Mirren in a challenge with Will Haining and had to be carried off.

The former Tottenham and Porto star looked in serious discomfort as he was taken up the tunnel on a stretcher and the initial fears were that he had suffered a serious knee problem.

However, while he is in discomfort Rangers are hoping the injury will not prevent him from playing a key role in the final five SPL matches and, of course, the Cup Final on May 30.

Assistant boss Ally McCoist said: "I spoke with Pedro and he is very sore at the moment. From our point of view we hope it's nothing more than a kick on the botom of the thigh.

"He is iced up and he he has been strapped up and we will have a better idea in the next couple of days."

Mendes left Hampden on crutches but the Murray Park medical team will get to work on him from Monday once the swelling has gone down.

Rangers FC

:rfc: Simply a Bear :rfc:

• Der Daily Rhebel am frühen Morgen. Warten wir mal die offiziellen News ab.

Exclusive: Rangers star Pedro Mendes tipped to be fit for clash with Hearts

RANGERS were handed a title boost last night with the news Pedro Mendes should be fit for Sunday's clash with against Hearts.

The Portuguese was injured in the first half of their 3-0 Scottish Cup semi-final win against St Mirren.

And as he was carried off on a stretcher Rangers feared the worst.

Ally McCoist voiced those fears on Saturday night saying: "If we lose Pedro now then it would be a serious blow to our title hopes.'

Mendes was left in a heap on the Hampden turf after a clash with Will Haining.

His knee was badly gashed but because of the swelling it was too difficult to tell if he had also sustained ligament damage.

Ibrox gaffer Walter Smith was told after the semi that Mendes would need a scan and that it might take 48 hours before the full extent of the damage could be revealed.

However, the swelling subsided overnight and Smith got the news he wanted.

He said: "It looks as though Pedro will recover in time for the Hearts match but if he doesn't then he'll certainly be ready for the Old Firm game."
    DR

• Wäre schon wichtig, wenn er fürs old-firm wieder fit ist. Aber wenn ich ehrlich bin, hat man sein Fehlen in der 2 Halbzeit gegen St.Mirren kaum gemerkt.

• Naja, das war St Mirren, die an dem Tag nichts auf den Rasen gebracht haben und schon 0:1 hinten lagen. Davis und Edu haben es dann gut gemacht, aber Mendes ist schon enorm wichtig.

• Pedro Mending

PEDRO MENDES looks like being fit to play a major role in the run-in despite being carried off at Hampden last Saturday.

The Portuguese playmaker was in real pain as he was taken off by stretcher following a challenge with Will Haining in the 3-0 Scottish Cup semi-final win over St Mirren.

However, he was in much better shape yesterday and he will have his thigh injury scanned today.

It is too early to know when he will be able to play again but the medical team are hoping for positive results today.

That being the case he may even be ready for the home SPL clash with third-placed Hearts on Sunday.

Rangers FC

• Hört sich schon mal gut an. Wenn´s vllt. nicht für die Hearts reicht, dann Hauptsache für die Sheeps und vor allem Celtc. Aber das hätte schlimmer ausgehen können...... :nuke:

• Boost For Mendes

By Andrew Dickson

RANGERS have confirmed Pedro Mendes' thigh injury is not as bad as was first feared after a hospital scan today.

Following tests, the Portuguese midfielder - who has heavy bruising - will now recuperate for a few days with a view to returning to training at the end of the week.

It remains to be seen if he will be risked in Sunday's home meeting with Hearts, especially with the Old Firm derby coming just six days later.

And it could be that the former Champions League winner is given as much time as he needs to ensure he's ready for the vital clash with Celtic on May 9.

News that Mendes is not as seriously hurt as he appeared when he was carried off in the first half of Saturday's 3-0 Scottish Cup semi-final win over St Mirren is a major boost.

And manager Walter Smith has been given a further lift as Lee McCulloch, Sasa Papac and DaMarcus Beasley are all hopeful of being involved at the weekend.

Kirk Broadfoot and Kyle Lafferty are also closing in on comebacks - with the latter having every chance of playing in the derby - as Gers' injury crisis finally clears.

Smith said: "It was a nasty knock Pedro took and a fairly painful one but it has had a bit of time to calm down now.

"There's no ligament damage there and we're hopeful it will settle down further over the next few days.

"There is still a possibility he will be fit for this week's game against Hearts and that's a big relief for us.

"At this stage of the season, we need everybody to be fit and especially in midfield because we've been without Kevin Thomson for a lot of the season.

"When you're a man down in one area, you don't want to lose anyone else through injury or suspensions.

"The news on Pedro is good for us and if the majority of our players can remain fit and we get others back, it will be a big help in our last half dozen games."
    Rangers FC

• Lafferty Set For Return

KYLE LAFFERTY has handed Walter Smith a boost ahead of the crucial SPL run in by declaring himself fit for this weekend's Ibrox meeting with Hearts.

The Northern Ireland star has been missing for over five weeks after suffering an ankle injury the last time the Tynecastle club made the trip to Govan.

But after fearing that his season was over, the news that Lafferty will now be available for Rangers' final five league matches and the Scottish Cup final will come as a timely lift for the 21-year-old.

The eight goal striker has returned to training with the rest of the first team squad this week and hopes to make the bench against Hearts on Sunday.

He said: "I've trained with the squad for the second time today and I'm available for selection on Sunday which is a big bonus for me.

"When I first got the injury I thought that was my season finished. I kept hearing it would be two months but then when I was told 4-6 weeks it gave me something to aim for.

"It's about five weeks since I did it now so I'm really happy with that. I had been doing well in the first 35 minutes or so against Hearts before I came off with the injury and now I'm just hoping to get a run out and maybe a goal at the weekend.

"But I think it would be harsh on the lads that have come in if I went straight back in to the starting line up because they have done really well and gone on a great run.

"So I know it is going to be difficult to get back in the team. I just have to work hard in training and if I get a chance in the game I need to show what I can do again.

"Of course everybody wants to be involved in the run in and if we go about things the right way we should be ok. Hopefully I can play a big part in that now."

Rangers FC

• Nö, es bestand bei ihm immer die Hoffnung auf Anfang Mai. Stand auch immer so in unserer Verletztenliste im Forum. ;)

• Gut dass er fit ist! meiner meinung nach sogar jz schon unser BESTER stürmer!
    Eine positive Mischung auch Boyd & Miller. Ist zwar nicht ganz so stark im abschluss wie boyd & nicht ganzen so aktiv wie Miller, aber trotzdem im schnitt besser als die 2! :nuke:
    Kann jz sogar schnell zum Star werden, wenn er gleich wieder anfängt zu treffen :applaus:

Rangers FC - Scottish Premier League - Champions 2008/09

• Gut, dass er wieder da ist, aber im Moment seh ich Boyd und Velicka eigentlich unantastbar. Ich weiß, zwei solche Brecher gehen eigentlich gar nicht, aber sie treffen-BEIDE!!!

• Nö, es bestand bei ihm immer die Hoffnung auf Anfang Mai. Stand auch immer so in unserer Verletztenliste im Forum. ;)

Tschuldigung, in diesen Sachen bin ich gute Nachrichten nunmal nicht gewohnt..... I)

• A Massive Boost

By Andrew Dickson

ALLY McCOIST is confident Kyle Lafferty can add weight to Rangers' title challenge in the last five league games of the season.

The Northern Ireland striker is fit again after he damaged ankle ligaments and he should be in the squad for Sunday's home clash with Hearts.

That's a massive boost for the Light Blues after it seemed the 21-year-old was facing a race against time to be ready for next week's derby with Celtic.

Lafferty was showing his best form for Gers before he got injured and had scored three games in as many games as he finally got his chance up front.

He'll be bidding to recapture his ruthless streak on his return and Ibrox assistant manager McCoist has backed him to do it.

"It's great news for us that Kyle's able to play again," McCoist said. "He has been moving really well and that has been the case for the last seven or eight days now.

"He will come back into the reckoning again at the weekend and going into the post-split games, that's a huge positive for us.

"The big man was in great form before he got injured and we've been fortunate that Andrius Velicka and Kris Boyd have been scoring goals while he has been out.

"Now Kyle can come back in too and I'm hopeful he'll get a few himself. He's a very important player for us and it's fantastic we have him back."

Along with Lafferty, Rangers are confident Sasa Papac and Lee McCulloch will be fit for the Jambos' visit.

The same applies with Pedro Mendes, who is getting better after he was hurt just above the knee during last Saturday's Scottish Cup semi-final against St Mirren.

It is hoped he'll be able to resume training tomorrow after the pain and swelling he was experiencing went down.

Another player who might make the starting line-up - possibly even at Lafferty's expense - is his fellow forward Kenny Miller.

The ex-Hibs man has been impressive over the last couple of weeks when coming on as a substitute.

And having scored his 12th goal of the season against the Buddies five days ago, Miller has certainly given the management food for thought.

McCoist added: "Kenny has looked a bit more like his old self again since he came back from his injury.

"He has been a lot livelier, quicker and sharper and he came on and scored a good goal at Hampden last week.

n"I'd have no qualms about starting him and he's in contention. Andrius has done well but Kenny has given us a nice problem to have."

McCoist, meanwhile, has spoken of his happiness for Steven Naismith after he was named in Scotland's B squad for next week's friendly with Northern Ireland at Clyde.

The former Kilmarnock striker has struggled to find form but Walter Smith's deputy feels he has been rewarded for the determination he has shown over the last few months.

McCoist said: "I'm thrilled for Naisy. He has had a little bit of disappointment lately because he has not been playing every week.

"The most important thing from his point of view is that this will give him a boost as it is recognition of all his hard work.

"Make no mistake about it, nobody has put in more effort to come back from a serious injury than him and he deserves the call."

Rangers FC

• Walter's Wait

by Lindsay Herron

RANGERS will give three key players fitness tests tomorrow ahead of the vital opening post-split fixture against Hearts on Sunday.

Pedro Mendes, Sasa Papac and DaMarcus Beasley will all be put through their paces in a bid to prove their availability for the crucial SPL clash.

The good news is that, as reported yesterday, Kyle Lafferty is back in the squad while Lee McCulloch is also available again.

Walter Smith will delay his team selection until he learns of the results on Mendes, Papac and Beasley but he has an enforced change to make in any case as Madjid Bougherra is suspended.

He has options for the centre back role with Christian Dailly, McCulloch or perhaps Andy Webster coming in for what would be his first top team game of the season.

Mendes was carried off in last week's Homecoming Scottish Cup semi-final win over St Mirren after taking a kick just above the knee but has been responding to treatment all week and was involved in this morning's training session at Murray Park.

Coincidentally, it was against St Mirren that both Papac and Beasley were injured. The Bosnian defender needed five stitches in an ankle gash sustained at St Mirren Park on April 5 while Beasley was carried off with rib damage and breathing difficulties in the same game.

Papac was suspended last weekend but it is still touch and go whether he will be ready to come back in. Beasley, however, seems to be recovered and also trained this morning.

Rangers FC

• Mendes Back

by Lindsay Herron

PEDRO MENDES has proved his fitness to be ready for Sunday's vital Hearts clash but it looks like Sasa Papac will miss out.

The other good news is that, as reported yesterday, Kyle Lafferty is back in the squad while Lee McCulloch is also available again.

Mendes trained with the squad this morning at Murray Park and Smith said: "Pedro, Kyle and Lee are all back with us and they are in the squad for Sunday.

"Mendes took a nasty knock last week on the top of the knee but it was just bruising and there was no ligament damage. We will check that there is no reaction but we don't expect there will be and we expect him to be OK.

"Papac is a doubt, however, and of course we have Madjid Bougherra suspended so with Kirk Broadfoot still injured we are a bit stretched at the back.

"We will miss Bougherra because has been playing very well but the lads who have come in before have done very well. The last time we played Hearts, for example, we had Lee McCulloch and Christian Dailly made up our central defensive partnership so hopefully we won't miss him that much."

He has options for the centre back role with Dailly, McCulloch or perhaps Andy Webster coming in for what would be his first top team game of the season.

Smith confirmed today that Webster is in the squad and could feature. He said: "Andy will be involved in Sunday's squad.

"Obviously his career here has not gone the way he would have wanted it to go and that's down mainly to injury. He has missed most of my time here. He has been fit for the past few months but it takes time to get back into the squad."

Papac suffered an ankle gash against St Mirrren on April 5 and it could be that Stevie Smith, who has been playing in midfield, moves back to play in his normal left back slot.

DaMarcus Beasley was back in training today but Smith will wait before making a decision on his inclusion. The American was hurt in the same St Mirren game as Papac, suffering rib damage.

Rangers FC

• So, nach den letzten News vom Club sieht es aktuell wie folgt aus:

# 5 Sasa Papac (Anfang Mai)
    #20 DaMarcus Beasley (Anfang Mai)
    #21 Kirk Broadfoot (Mitte Mai)
    #6 Barry Ferguson (Saison beendet)
    #8 Kevin Thomson (Saison beendet)

Pedro Mendes, Lee McCulloch und Kyle Lafferty haben heute trainiert, stoßen zum Kader, aber von "fit" kann man natürlich noch nicht unbedingt sprechen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!